How to Screenshot on Dell: A Step-by-Step Guide
Using the PrtScn Key to Capture Screenshots on Dell
The PrtScn (Print Screen) key is a built-in feature on Dell laptops and desktops that allows you to capture a screenshot of your entire screen. Follow these simple steps to use the PrtScn key to take a screenshot on your Dell device:
- Locate the PrtScn key on your keyboard. It is usually located in the top-right corner of the keyboard.
- Make sure that the content you want to capture is on the screen.
- Press the PrtScn key once. This will take a screenshot of the entire screen and save it to your clipboard.
- Open the program where you want to use the screenshot (e.g. Microsoft Paint, Word, etc.).
- Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard or right-click and select “Paste” to insert the screenshot.
- Save the screenshot to your desired location.
If you want to capture only a specific part of the screen, you can use the PrtScn key in combination with other keys, such as Alt or Windows key, to capture the active window or a specific area.
Using the Snipping Tool to Take Customized Screenshots on Dell
The Snipping Tool is a handy feature built into Windows that allows you to capture customized screenshots of any part of your screen. Here’s how to use the Snipping Tool to take a screenshot on your Dell device:
- Open the Snipping Tool. You can find it by typing “Snipping Tool” in the Windows search bar.
- Click “New” to start a new snip.
- Select the type of snip you want to take (e.g. free-form, rectangular, window, or full-screen).
- Click and drag your cursor to select the area you want to capture.
- Release the mouse button to take the screenshot.
- Edit the screenshot by using the available tools (e.g. pen, highlighter, eraser) or add notes using the text box.
- Save the screenshot to your desired location.
The Snipping Tool is a great option if you need to capture a specific part of the screen or if you want to annotate the screenshot before saving it.
Capturing Screenshots with the Windows + Print Screen Shortcut on Dell
The Windows + Print Screen shortcut is a quick and easy way to take a screenshot on your Dell device. This shortcut captures the entire screen and automatically saves it to the default Pictures folder. Here’s how to use the Windows + Print Screen shortcut:
- Make sure the content you want to capture is on the screen.
- Press the Windows key + Print Screen key at the same time.
- The screen will briefly dim, indicating that the screenshot has been taken.
- Open the default Pictures folder (usually located in the “This PC” section of File Explorer) to find the screenshot.
- The screenshot will be automatically saved with a file name that includes the date and time it was taken.
The Windows + Print Screen shortcut is a great option if you need to quickly capture a screenshot without the need for any additional editing or customization.
Using Third-Party Apps to Take Screenshots on Dell
In addition to the built-in features of Windows and Dell devices, there are also many third-party apps available that can help you take screenshots with more advanced features. Here are some popular third-party apps you can use to take screenshots on your Dell device:
Greenshot – This free app allows you to capture screenshots with a variety of customization options, including the ability to select a specific area, annotate the screenshot, and save it in various file formats.
Snagit – Snagit is a paid app that offers a range of advanced screenshot features, such as the ability to capture scrolling windows, record video of your screen, and automatically share your screenshots to various platforms.
Lightshot – Lightshot is a free app that lets you capture screenshots, edit them, and share them with others. It also allows you to search for similar images on the internet and offers cloud storage for your screenshots.
PicPick – PicPick is a free app that offers a range of tools for capturing and editing screenshots, including a pixel ruler, color picker, and protractor.
Using third-party apps can be a great option if you need more advanced features or if you take screenshots frequently and want to streamline the process.
How to Find and Save Your Screenshots on Dell
After taking a screenshot on your Dell device, you need to know where to find it and how to save it to your desired location. Here’s how to find and save your screenshots on Dell:
- Open the “File Explorer” app on your Dell device.
- Navigate to the “Pictures” folder.
- Look for a subfolder called “Screenshots”. This is where Windows automatically saves all screenshots taken with the Windows + Print Screen shortcut or the Snipping Tool.
- If you took a screenshot using a different method, such as the PrtScn key or a third-party app, it may not be in the “Screenshots” folder. Use the search bar in File Explorer to search for the file name or extension of your screenshot (e.g. .png, .jpg, .bmp).
- Once you find your screenshot, you can open it and edit it in a photo editing app, or you can simply move it to a different folder or save it to an external drive.
It’s important to note that the location of your screenshots may vary depending on your device settings and preferences. If you’re having trouble finding your screenshots, try searching for them using the search bar in File Explorer or consult your device manual for more information.